Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibit: Day 1 Review

Alarm buzzing at 6 am I look out the window excited to spend my weekend out in the warm sun. However, much to my disappointment (among many others) dark clouds and rain, sums up today’s opening for the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibit. By 7am Nathan Philips Square was packed with rain jackets and umbrellas as artists scurry around heavy rains to set up for this weekends much-anticipated show - usually driving thousands of art lovers from Toronto and abroad.

Leaking tents and flooded areas caused frustration among the artists and resulted in last-minute relocating for many.

The first four hours mostly consisted of attempting to protect pieces and get all the artists settled and registered. After spending the morning in the rain, it was time for me to check out some indoor activities. I was lucky enough to get a seat in Toronto-based studio potter and ceramic instructor, Susan Card’s presentation on working with clay. Not previously knowing Mrs. Card and always interested in learning new (and new to me) things relating to art, I was excited to meet her and hear her speak. Both educational and entertaining her presentation illustrated a comprehensive review on different techniques and styles of ceramics and pottery. Her passion and knowledge made me want to try it myself as she brought her collection of artwork out for us to see.

Feeling inspired, I left to face the rain once more. Much to my surprise the rain had let up and the artists were hanging their art. By the time I left, the show was beginning to pick up and the area was abuzz.

I am excited to see how the rest of the weekend turns out. If you are in the city this Friday, Saturday or Sunday, come on down and check it out. We will be there rain or shine!

Brittany O’Donnell

Looking for local Canadian Art? Check out Artistically Connected today!

No comments:

Post a Comment